Sunday 8 August 2010

'TAMAYO MUSEUM OF PREHISPANIC ART' IN OAXACA, REVISITED BY CECILIA LEON DE LA BARRA











My sister Cecilia, sent me this pictures of a recent visit she did to the Rufino Tamayo Prehispanic Arts Museum in the city of Oaxaca in Mexico. Opened in 1974, and containing painter Rufino Tamayo's collection of prehispanic objects, the museum has always been one of my favourites. Although I haven't visited it in at least 15 years (I guess I first visited it in 1990 when I was 18!), it's great to see that the display hasn't changed (so many Mexican archeology museums have fallen trap to very bad Disney style 'didactic' exhibition displays). Tamayo Museum in Oaxaca has a great display of prehispanic objects, and since the beginning it had the visionary idea of arranging the collection not in chronological time or by culture, but according to aesthetic criteria.

You can also visit Ceci's new website here!

No comments:

Post a Comment